Wednesday 27 June 2012

My Hobby - Vaccine Coordinator for MMDR


By Diana Sawchuk

During the day I work as a fulltime Nurse in the Neurosurgery Outpatient Clinic. My evening and weekend life I am the Vaccine Coordinator for Manitoba Mutts Dog Rescue. This is 100% a volunteer position and keeps me busy organizing and coordinating up to fifty visits a week to vaccinate our rescue puppies and adult dogs coming into our care from all over Manitoba. At least one evening per week I am joined by my husband and my friend (who is a Nurse Manager at SBGH) and host up to 40 dogs in my home and administer vaccinations to fostered pups as well as already adopted dogs from our rescue. It brings a wonderful sense of calm to know you are helping give these neglected and often abused, but always innocent animals a second chance. The difference they have made in our lives and the lives of those who care for them and befriend them is profound. I have never been artistically inclined, nor do I have a ‘green-thumb’, but the joy I get in seeing these happy, (… and dare I say appreciative) animals and seeing them romp around my living room carefree, then getting a warm ‘kiss’ on the face or a cuddle after distracting them, vaccinating them and gaining their trust and unconditional affection, makes it all a worthwhile ‘hobby’ for me. I recommend this to all other ‘artistically challenged’ people out there who are looking for a worthwhile and rewarding ‘hobby’.

Interested in a “hobby” helping our rescue dogs and puppies in need? We are currently looking for individuals that share our passion for giving dogs a second chance at life. We are currently accepting resumes for the following positions:
-          Event Coordinator (organizing MMDR upcoming events)
-          Spay & Neuter Coordinator (scheduling veterinarian visits)
-          Executive Assistant (help with paperwork, phone calls, organization, public communications etc.)
-          Poster Distribution Team (help plaster the city with posters/email our contact lists for our events)
-          Birthday Party Hosts (help organize and bring puppies to birthday parties)
-          Sponsorship Team Members (to solicit donations from Manitoba businesses)

For more information or to apply please email info@manitobamutts.org
Want to get involved but cannot commit to a regular position? Why not volunteer? We are always looking for extra volunteers to:
-          Picking up dogs from the airport 
-          Driving dogs from foster houses to the vet
-          Bringing dogs to adoption fairs that their fosters cannot attend
-          Helping at adoption fairs - watching puppies, taking dogs out for   bathroom breaks, selling merchandise, answering questions, etc.
-          Helping out at our of town adoption fairs, transporting dogs, etc.
-          Being a "temp foster home" - holding a dog or puppies for a few days until a suitable foster is found
Contact us for more information at volunteer@manitobamutts.org  

No comments:

Post a Comment